While the bond with my daughter is hands down my most important relationship, the one I have with myself is a close second. For the first time in years I'm really getting to know who I am without outside influence. So while it may seem self centered, my list this year is 26 facts about me. Some I'm just finding out and others are well established, 26 on my 26th in 3, 2, 1...
1. I love to be the first to crack the sugary shell of creme brûlée. I didn't realize how much I love this until my friend Rachel beat me to it the other night.
1.B. Creme brûlée is my favorite dessert, bread pudding is second, then brownies. Or maybe waffles?
2. I have nine pillows on my bed, sleep with six, but only really use one. Maybe two depending on my mood.
3. I'm obsessed with paper straws and have a paper straws dealer. Her name is Brittany.
4. I really like spicy food. I am so immune, it surprises me when someone says what I'm eating is spicy. I've recently noticed a parallel in that I'm a very strong person emotionally. It surprises me when someone says what I'm going through is tough when it hasn't really had an impact on me.
5. Only two of my really close friends I've met after the age of 16.
6. Almost none of the furniture in my house matches. And no, not because they're hand-me-downs, because I like it like that.
6.B. I even own two couches that are different colors, one is blue and one is green. And I have a lime green hutch, and a yellow chandelier.
7. Speaking of which, yellow is my favorite color.
8. I refuse to ever own a car that isn't an SUV. Been there, done that, won't go back.
9. I love Jonah Hill so much I named my dog after him.
9.B. I hope to one day own a cat named Elephant.
10. I was given my Kitchen Aid as a gift when I graduated from high school. I was told I could ask for anything, that's what I wanted.
11. I have hundreds of books on my "To Read or Reread" list.
12. Tulips are my favorite flower, but I always say I prefer lilies because they were my Uncle Richard's favorite before he died.
12.B. I never met my Uncle Richard, he died six months before I was born, but I feel I have more in common with him than anyone else in my family.
13. I love surprises more than I can even explain. Probably because I'm so difficult to surprise.
14. When I was a kid I decided where I'd get married and what I'd wear, it has never changed.
15. I pray a lot more than people would guess.
16. I have a saxophone "A" key on a long chain I wear around my neck. It's my absolute favorite piece of jewelry.
17. Tea over coffee. Amy over Tina. Chocolate over vanilla (but never chocolate sauce--gross).
18. When I'm nervous or uncomfortable I say the strangest things, which only makes the situation worse. It's a gift.
19. Future homeowner goals include: owning way more art, gratuitous Christmas decorations, and an extra bedroom I can make into a closet.
20. Speaking of Christmas decorations, when I was a kid, I used to pretend that everyone was decorating their houses for my birthday. I still do this.
21. Cole Porter is my default and favorite Pandora station.
22. While I consider myself overly emotional, I've gotten very good at controlling them. Unless I'm angry--that's my weakness.
23. When I started getting tattoos, I promised my mom I'd never tattoo my chest or legs. I fully intend to never break that promise.
24. I rarely eat the desserts I make.
25. I love vintage pieces, from furniture, to knickknacks, to clothes and jewelry. They're unique and have lived an entire life we can never know about, I like to imagine they'll keep on living even after their time with me.
26. I have a secret spot. All I'll say is that it's on the Loop in Ormond Beach and that I used to skip school to go there and drink beer.