Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mila's 1st Birthday Party

As you know, I have been very excited about planning Mila's first birthday party. We decided on a mermaid theme and wanted to focus on using the colors mint, coral, silver and gold. I tried to be thoughtful about incorporating the theme, from the toothpicks with little shells attached to the tops, to the oyster macaroons, to the beach bucket party favors. Luckily for us, it's summer time and the colors we picked are trending right now, so everything seemed to fall into place nicely. After spending so much time planning, you can imagine how thrilled I was to be voted Best Decorations by PartyPail.com!

The first thing I picked out was Mila's outfit. I ordered that back in April. Shortly after (maybe even the same day) I found her invitations, which were like a sign that this was the perfect theme and color combination. Someone actually asked me if I planned the party around the invitations--I didn't, I just got lucky to find something that so appropriately complimented my vision!



Because I love to bake, the dessert table was a huge focus the entire planning process. I knew I wanted to have it inside on the bar so that it would greet people as they walked in, but this meant limited space. the top of my bar has two built in ice buckets that take up about a quarter of the surface, so I had to pick a few desserts that would make a big impact.




Four layer butter cake with vanilla buttercream frosting
studded with chocolate pearls

Chocolate cupcakes with mint-colored vanilla buttercream frosting 
and printable toppers




I wanted to keep food simple since the dessert table was quite labor intensive, so I went with some of my favorite crowd pleasers: pulled pork, dry-rub ribs, quiche, potato salad and fruit salad.


You may not know this about me, but I hate tacky party games. Unless Mila comes crying to me about wanting to play Pin the Tail on the Donkey at her birthday party, it's not going to happen. Naturally, I had zero games planned for Mila's first birthday. However, with the help of Charlie Coco's I did set up a headband and clip making station so that Mila's guests could make her a headband or clip. It ended up being a huge success. I couldn't be more happy with the outcome; not to mention, Charlie Coco's owner, Amber, is an absolute delight to work with!





We kept the decorations to a minimum but used them to help carry the theme and make the party cohesive. 








I was thrilled with how everything turned out for Mila's party and by how the day went. Everyone was happy and really seemed to enjoy themselves, especially Mila. She was particularly excited about her sugar free chocolate smash cake with whipped cream.

"One" Onesie (I would not recommend buying this product or purchasing from this store, ever)



Oh, and swinging, she loves swinging.


Now, to start planning next year's party. I'll give you a hint about the theme, her second birthday will be her "golden" birthday since she was born on the second. Gold. Everything.

Happy 1st Birthday again, Mila Joan. I love you more than I ever knew to be possible.

♥A

3 comments:

  1. Why wouldn't you purchase the onesie! I was literally a day away from ordering one from that exact company!!! Amazing party!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered the "One" onesie from PD Studios Store on July 18th after quadruple checking with the owner that it would be at my door no later than July 1st. I ordered it for Mila to wear to the museum with her friends on her actual birthday (July 2nd). The evening of July 1st, I expressed my concern that the onesie hadn't arrived to the store owner. It took her days to respond to me.

      I got the onesie on July 5th and decided Mila could wear it for the cake smash--I initially planned on her only wearing the crown and a diaper. Obviously, the onesie got covered in cake so I turned it inside out and threw it in a small, delicate load (how I wash all of Mila's clothes) and all the letters fell off. Huge waste of energy and money. I should have just made this myself. I could have easily bought a plain onesie, dyed it and bought iron on letters. It would have been so much smarter.

      Delete
  2. Alli, I'm in awe and so sorry we were in NC and had to miss this most special event! What a magnificent party, I do have some keeper pics that will be framed soon, that Annie shared with us. Hope to see you and that precious little mermaid real soon! The pool temp here presently is 91 Not too shabby, more like a bathtub! x
    oxo Aunt Josee

    ReplyDelete