Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mila's 1st Birthday: Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mila woke as usual, around 7:30AM. Normally I walk into her bedroom singing the "Good Morning" song but, appropriately, switched it to "Happy Birthday" followed by lots of clapping.



We got Mila ready for the day and dropped her off at Miss Emily's house (our in-home day care facility) by 8:30AM. I made sugar-free chocolate cupcakes with a strawberry filling and whipped cream to send for Mila and her friends at day-care. They also enjoyed a field trip to Great Explorations Children's Museum in honor of Mila's birthday.






Ryan worked from home on Mila's birthday so he was there when we arrived home from work and day-care. Ryan and I shared a beer and played in the backyard with Mila and Jonah.





As it got later, we decided to try to make it to the beach for the sunset. Unfortunately, it was much to cloudy for that, but the beach was vacant and beautiful--perfect for letting Mila run around.






We got home to Shepard's Pie and more cupcakes. We sang to Mila and helped her blow out her candle before letting her tear into it.





Such a quiet, simple day, but it was perfect for us. It was nice to spend an intimate evening together as a family of three (four if you include Jonah); although, I'm kicking myself for not taking the day off from work. I know Mila won't remember, but I promised her I will never work again on her birthday. As a child with a birthday smack in the middle of summer vacation, she'll never have balloons or flowers sent to her class in the middle of the school day as my parents had done for me. I'll have to find my own ways of making her feel special on her birthday, and taking the day off will certainly be a step in the right direction.

♥A

No comments:

Post a Comment