Saturday, April 20, 2013

New Traditions and Old Friends

Completely by accident, we started a new tradition, the weeknight fiesta. Ole!

It started a few weeks ago when I took a personal day and drove across the state to my hometown so I could spend some time with an old friend, Alanna, who has been living in New York. At lunch, Alanna, Mila and I found ourselves at La Fiesta, my favorite Mexican restaurant. M was growing more and more hangry (hungry and angry, look it up) so as soon as the server approached the table I ordered a bowl of guacamole, knowing they could bring it quickly. I don't didn't like guacamole--maybe it's the green, maybe it's the pastyness with chunks, not sure. But when this arrived at our table, I changed my tune.


 Not only was this shit delicious, it had eight ingredients. EIGHT! I knew I could make it at home. And guess what? I did.
(this is so easy, I can't even believe I wrote a recipe for it)

Every week, since discovering my love for chunky guac, I have made it to accompany fresh squeezed margaritas and some various Mexican dish.


Ryan isn't specifically excited about the guac, he shares my previous fondness for it (or lack-there-of) and this recipe hasn't really changed his mind--his loss, more for M and me! However, he is loving all the fajitas, tacos, quesadillas and enchiladas. Needless to say, we're all winning thanks to this new tradition.

M and I were double winning when we were treated to a whole afternoon with Alanna (as I mentioned) a few weeks ago. Since Alanna moved, this was the first chance she's had to meet M. Alanna is an unbelievably talented, award-winning (not exaggerating) artist who moved to Brooklyn several months ago. Her art has been featured at the Florida Museum for Women Artists, Gateway Center for the Arts, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Southlight Gallery and many, many others (check out her site here). But she is so much more than just an artist; Alanna is genuinely of my most cherished friends. She is an utter joy to be around. I am grateful to call her my friend and for my daughter to call her "Auntie Lana". I am so proud of her words cannot express. Oh, and she's gorgeous--like model gorgeous.


Did I mention she has a piece named after me? Yes, I consider myself (totally bragging here) one of the luckiest bitches in the world, to have her in my life.

"Alli"

I'm not entirely sure how this went from an entry about my new love for chunky guac to my established love for Alanna, but there you go. My scattered mind in a blog entry.


♥A

P.S. Ryan is the Schmitt (he wanted me to include that and is currently standing over my shoulder).

No comments:

Post a Comment