Friday, December 13, 2013

25 on My 25th

Happy 25th Birthday to Me!


I'm a quarter of a century old--and I dig it. I've learned a lot in these 25 years and I'm proud of where I am today. So in honor of my 25th birthday, I would like to share with you 25 important lessons I've learned (in no particular order).

1. Be a good great friend. It seems simple but honestly, many people don't have what it takes to be a true friend, to put others ahead of yourself, to love and to be loyal. Friendship is similar to romantic relationships in that, if you work hard enough, they can last forever. But it's only friendships you can have multiple of at once without anyone getting hurt. Friends will outlast most boyfriends and will certainly outlast fashion trends. Friends should be cherished. I am a great friend. I take a lot of pride in that.

2. Gift giving is a privilege not a chore. Don't half ass it. Listen (which is probably the real lesson here) and be willing to kill yourself--or someone on Craigslist--to make it happen. Side note: you don't have to spend a fortune to give an epic gift.

3. Develop a hard work ethic and be notorious for it. When I worked at restaurants, I was always the server who could take one more table. I would pick up shifts, work late and sanitize the coffee maker without complaint. In my "adult" life, I am trying hard to have that same work ethic at home and at the office, and while it's not always as simple as life at the Ale House, I work my ass off to make sure everything gets done.

4. Listen to good music. Life is too short for trendy bullshit. If you ever find yourself lost or overwhelmed with options, just type "George Thorogood" into Pandora.

5. If you ever feel like you've failed as a parent, tomorrow is a new day. Children are wonderful in that they are very forgiving. Even when I'm at my wit's end and I feel like I've been really tough on Mila, she kisses me goodnight and smiles when she sees me in the morning. Side note: do not take advantage of this. Get your act together ASAP because once they start forming lasting memories, you don't want them to recall how bitchy their mom was every other day.

6. Drive the speed limit. Going six miles over isn't going to get you there that much faster, it's just going to make you overwork your brakes and get yourself stressed for nothing.

7. Scrunchies are not okay. The 90's are over, it's done. Also, leggings are not pants. Side note: neither of these apply if you're pregnant or the mother of a newborn. Do what you want, girl.

8. Pick a great breakfast restaurant and go there every Saturday (not Sunday, Sundays are too busy and you'll be a burden to your server, no one will enjoy it). You'll find yourself looking forward to it all week and your server will be grateful for her/his regulars. Speaking of going out to eat...

9. Tip well. This bares repeating, TIP WELL. At least 20%.

10. It's okay to be the one who doesn't love "more," but make sure you're willing to admit it and that you cherish the person who truly loves you more.

11. Smiling and waving enthusiastically to someone flicking you off in traffic is not only a way to cut stress, it's hilarious to see their reaction.

12. There are only two things you should remember about everyone you meet, their name and their drink (if you can also remember their children's names, thats a bonus). As a veteran bartender, I can tell you that if you remember these two things, you will be praised like a high saint. Plus it's a neat trick to order for the entire table. Side note: Allison "Alli" Cox - Absolute Mandarin, tonic and lime.

13. Read, a lot. And if you don't like to read, learn to.

14. Don't make promises you can't keep. I remember the exact moment someone first presented this lesson to me. I was a sophomore in high school, Jason Lawlor said it to me. He is one of my life long friends and someone I completely respect. Real men don't make promises they can't keep and real women, who want the respect of men, don't either. 

15. Furry children deserve equal love to human children. Mistreating them is never okay. Also, not allowing them to sleep in your bed is cruel. 

16. TV characters are not real, but it's okay to love them. 

17. Your house doesn't always have to be spotless. Life happens, we all understand, but mold and bugs are never okay. 

18. Never underestimate the power of a handwritten birthday card or thank you note. Also, handwritten letters for no reason are still cool, I promise.

19. Florida State University is the greatest school ever. 

20. Live with your bestfriend at least once. And if she has a great sense of fashion, make sure your house has an extra bedroom that you can turn into a shared closet. 

21. Your mom is way cooler than you give her credit for. Give her better hugs and mean it when you say "thank you".

22. There is nothing wrong with watching an entire season of a television show in one sitting.

23. Be willing and able to be a leader but be just as able to let someone else take the lead. You have to be able to do both if you want to be a successful and valuable asset.

24. Listen and don't interrupt.

25. Besides yourself, the only other person(s) you need to be there for 100% of the time is your child(ren). They will remember when you're not and they will never forgive you. Nothing should be more important than them, not even yourself.

❤A

3 comments:

  1. I just love you!

    By the way, I did #11 yesterday...and blew him a kiss. He was mad because I was doing #6!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love you too, and your beautiful girls. I hope to see all three of you around Christmas time!

      Delete
  2. Alli, you are a truly wonderful woman and I am so happy for the beautiful life you've made for yourself. Happy 25th gorgeous and know that I think you are both inside and out <3

    Calle

    ReplyDelete