Friday, March 2, 2012

Rules of Engagement

If actual rules of engagement exist, Ryan and I haven't learned them. So we're making up our own set along the way--not that we're engaged, but it's on the list of things to do.

Last night Ryan and I went to the mall to get him some new shoes and dress shirts for work. As we passed the jewelry store, I asked if we could go in to get a spacer for my "Sweater Ring".

For those of you who don't know the story of the Sweater Ring, let me explain. Ryan and I found out about the baby in November and my birthday is in December. Ryan had already bought me a cocktail ring for my birthday by the time we found out about the baby but he decided he should give me something more serious. Ryan took my cocktail ring back and traded it in for a gorgeous diamond studded Aquamarine ring that I could wear on my left ring finger to "keep my finger warm," and that is how it became known as the "Sweater Ring".

The Sweater Ring

Anyway... Back to last night. So we went into the jewelry store to get a spacer for my Sweater Ring because it is a bit too big but I refuse to give it up to get sized. Next thing you knew Ryan was trying on Movado watches dropping not-so-subtle hints. For those of you who don't know why I won't buy Ryan another watch, you'll just have to wait for another day. To follow his lead, I walked over to the Leo Diamonds and tried on a two carat, round, solitaire diamond ring. Lets be realistic here, engagement is the next step so its only natural that I try on engagement rings! And I am so glad I did. 

Rule 2 of Engagement:
Try on engagement rings.

Since I was a little girl, I have always dreamed of the day when my husband-to-be would open that little box and reveal a two carat (or more...), round, solitaire diamond ring. After finally trying one on last night, I realized it doesn't look as wonderful as I imagined on my hand. So I tried on a two carat, princess cut, solitaire diamond ring. Oh yea, princess cut is where it's at. It fits my hand so much better and still has that classic look that I've always longed for. 

Rule 3 of Engagement:
Do not try on more carats than you can afford.

Ryan and I are young professionals. I have only been working in my professional job for ten months and Ryan just started his three weeks ago! So I'm sure it is no surprise that we don't have a lot of money--not that we're hurting. I mean, we are buying a house right now and we're saving for the baby. Realistically, we're where we should be at our age. This means, no two carat solitaire diamonds for me. Teasing myself was a bad idea. Sure we can upgrade in a few years when it is something we can afford but I should have never put myself in this position in the first place.

The Two Carat, Princess Cut, Solitaire Diamond
(that I can't have--at least for a few years)

This brings us to rule number one, the most important of all Rules of Engagement.

Rule 1 of Engagement:
The ring on your finger is the greatest ring in the entire world.

My Sweater Ring is better than any of the rings I tried on last night. And the reason for that is because Ryan picked it out especially for me. I wear it every day--I won't even take it off to get sized! I wear it because the man I love gave it to me. I will wear this ring for the rest of my life if that is how it works out. Really, it's not about the size of the carat, all an engagement ring is is a sign of devotion. If you know you're devoted, why do you even need one?

Maturity is an unbelievable thing... How it just sneaks up on you one day.

♥ A

1 comment:

  1. I like your post. My sister and her husband don't even wear rings. They don't need to, because it is only a representation of what they already know in their hearts is true.
    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete